Friday, September 28, 2007

Hmmm

Today, I read a post on another blog wherein the writer says she doesn't understand why a woman with children would send their children to a sitter or to school, then she go to school to teach other children. She said if you have the ability to teach, then why not teach your own children. She feels that teaching should be left to men and single women. Now, I know a lot of teachers who absolutely love teaching and who feel good about the impact they make on children every day. These women send their children to other schools instead of home schooling.

Now this hit home personally because I'm one of those women who sends her children to school (the youngest stays with Grandma) and I go teach other children. I have the ability to teach my own children, but don't. And the reasons why I'm teaching are selfish (1/2 price tuition for my children). I'm not doing it for the money, although the small amount I bring home each month pays for groceries and helps with a bill or two. But it brings up a lot of things to think about...are my children better off at Christian school? Are they getting the education that they need? Can they learn more at home? Do they necessarily need to be around other children? If I stay at home and home school, how would we be off financially? What kind of support would I get in our area? I don't want my children to be isolated and feel "left out" by not being able to participate in sports, etc. I leave home at 7:00 a.m. and do not return home until 4:00-5:00 p.m. Am I giving them the time and attention they need and deserve? What about my youngest who is pretty much being raised by Grandma at this time? She behaves better for Grandma...lol. Like I said, this has brought up a lot of questions to ponder.

1 comment:

~Bren~ said...

Gosh, Susan, I just read all your posts, and it seems to me that your heart is with your children. I have done it all...public school, Christian school, and home school. I will be honest. I wish my oldest son and daughter had never stepped foot in a public school. I do however, not know if I would put my kids in Christian school verses home school, if I could afford it. Well actually I probably could, because if they were in school, I could get a job to pay for it. I can not take a stand on one side or the other for christian vs. home school. Public school I will firmly say NO WAY...GET THEM OUTTA THERE FAST!!
You really need to pray about it for yourself and not let others make you feel if you teach and take your kids to christian school you are not a good mom! From just your few posts it is evident that you are!