Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why I chose Christian School

I homeschooled my son for Kindergarten. I absolutely loved it! I thought I was pretty good at it because I stayed organized and hardly ever got off the schedule. When my husband's unit left for a year in Iraq weeks before 1st grade was to start, I decided to enroll my son at our church's Christian school. My son loved being with the other children. Then I was left with making the decision of whether to continue to homeschool or Christian school. We decided to continue to send him to school and now he's been joined by my daughter and now me, as a teacher. I can say, however, that if we ever moved and there wasn't a good Christian school available, my children will be homeschooled again. I am adamant that my children do not ever have to attend public school. It frightens me when I hear friend's children talk and the things they are exposed to. I wish to protect my children as long as I can. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting them in a bubble. I just think that at age 8, there is no need for my son to know any cuss words, or know about anything sexual. I know 8-9 year olds that understand what the word "sexy" means. Not my son!

When the time is right, and we feel there is a need, we-the parents-will tell our son what he needs to know. But we will also teach him that this world today is full of sin and the world tries to make you think of sin through signs, billboards, and commercials. And we will also teach him how to protect himself from that.

No comments: